When choosing a seedling, preference is given to strong specimens that could safely take root in a new place. Therefore, when self-cultivating saplings, gardeners apply different methods that favorably influence the development of young shoots. And the main means in achieving this goal are water and fertilizers. How and what to water the seedlings of tomatoes to grow strong will tell later in the article.
Table of contents
What to water the seedlings of tomatoes?
The development of young shoots depends on compliance with the irrigation regime and the introduction of additional dressings. And the irrigation process itself has features that will be discussed in this article.
After transferring seedlings to open ground, watering is not very often. At first, every 2 days during the first week, then about 1 time per week. For each seedling takes about 1.5-2.5 liters of water. Worse, if moistening is superficial. The root system can form underdeveloped, which negatively affects the growth of the bush.
For rooting seedlings irrigation is carried out according to the following scheme:
- when forming inflorescences and ovaries, the soil should be well-hydrated;
- a period of intense flowering before the formation of fruits requires moderate watering;
- with well-established dry and hot weather, water the beds should be every other day or every day (in the early morning, in the evening before sunset for 2 hours);
- in cloudy weather irrigation is carried out at any time.
The first watering seedlings tomato
Watering emerged shoots need 3-4 days after the mass germination. The main assistant in this business is the sprayer. It will help to evenly distribute water over the container with seedlings. The important point is the accuracy of the procedure, you should try not to fall on the greens. In the first month of seedling development, it is recommended to make one irrigation with a solution of water and organic fertilizer.
The soil should be moistened for the last time before picking in 2-3 days, and after the seedlings are transplanted, watering can be resumed only after 3-4 days. In the future, the mode is set: 1 time in 7-10 days.
Watering seedlings after transplanting
The first time irrigation is carried out 10-12 days after transplanting tomato seedlings. Watering is carried out only under the root of the plant. At the same time the liquid should not fall on the leaves. As the bush grows, its volume increases. At the first stage, the rate of consumption is 1.5-2 liters per plant, then the displacement increases to 3-3.5 liters.
Watering and spraying to improve growth
To make young shoots grow faster, water solutions with fertilizer are used for irrigation. Of the most popular recipes, you can safely use the following options:
- on a bucket of water a tablespoon of urea (it is recommended to make after picking);
- 1 liter of water a tablespoon nitrofoski (suitable after planting seedlings);
- on a bucket of water 500 ml liquid mullein (used after rooting seedlings);
- on a bucket of water 200 ml of liquid bird droppings.
Good feeding of seedlings of tomatoes with hydrogen peroxide
Everyone knows the unique qualities of hydrogen peroxide in the treatment of wounds, but very few people know about the benefits of using a means for healing seedlings of tomatoes so that they grow strong.
- With the help of peroxide, the so-called root cleaning is performed. the solution removes all harmful microorganisms. True, such prophylaxis has a detrimental effect on the thin hair-like processes of the tomato root system, but this fact does not affect the health and development of the plant. The seedling is treated one-time (before transplanting the flower bed).
- Hydrogen peroxide can be safely used to prevent the development of late blight. To prepare the solution, you will need a bucket of water, a tablespoon of peroxide and 40 drops of iodine. Procedures are carried out 1 time in 10-14 days.
- If you add a little peroxide to the irrigation water, the roots of the tomato will be intensively enriched with oxygen after irrigation.
- Liquid based on water and hydrogen peroxide is used to disinfect the soil. Periodically (no more than 1 time in 10 days) watering the seedlings with such a tool can prevent the development of diseases or the invasion of larvae that may be in the ground.
- Peroxide watering improves nutrient absorption by seedlings., as a result, the seedling becomes strong and resistant to diseases, including phytophthora.
Even a simple spraying of water with the addition of peroxide stimulates the development of tomatoes. This technology has long been practiced in America and some European countries. Efficiency indicators are high yields and increased plant resistance to diseases.
When using hydrogen peroxide for irrigation, some rules are followed:
- water must be warm;
- depth of soil moistening to reach 10 cm or more;
- avoid getting liquid on the leaves;
- procedures should be carried out no more than once a week or 10 days;
- time to process choose morning or evening.
How and what to process tomatoes after rain or cold
Sometimes it happens that as a result of the sudden onset of cold weather, the seedlings freeze or get wet under the pouring (still in spring cold) rain. The depressing look of plants suggests that the work and time was spent in vain. But to reanimate the seedlings still need to try, especially since in the arsenal of experienced gardeners there are always several effective methods.
- One method involves the use of the drug. Epinwhich strengthens the immunity of vegetable crops. To prepare the working solution, you will need to dissolve 1 ampoule of the product in 5 liters of water, add a pinch of citric acid. Next, you need to sprinkle the soil under the plant in the early morning or late evening. Daily procedures will not give the expected effect.
- To reanimate seedlings after soil freezing is possible with ordinary dousing. For procedures using water from natural reservoirs or well. The liquid used is cold, the jet should be of the type of sprinkling with a weak pressure (it is better to use a watering can with a nozzle). Watering is carried out before sunrise.
- If night frosts are replaced by sunny day weather, wilted seedlings need to be covered from the sun. For this purpose, a canopy of thick cardboard is constructed. It is even better to sprinkle shoots with a growth stimulator and make a mini greenhouse over a garden bed (film or agrotextile shelter). Gradual thawing will give the plant a chance to recover.If not, you need to additionally fertilize it.
- In case of darkening of the tips of shoots during frostbite, it is recommended to hold spraying a tomato with a solution of water (10 liters) and urea (with a matchbox). You can add to the tool any growth promoter.
- Abundance of moisture is becoming the main cause of disease. If the seedlings came under heavy rain, do not hope at random, it is better to carry out the treatment. The best means are: whey (2 liters per bucket of water), a weak solution of potassium permanganate, 1% Bordeaux liquid, wood ash (300 g of ash is boiled in 500 ml of water for 20 minutes, then diluted in a bucket of water). Spray this solution at any time.
The reverent attitude to seedlings guarantees getting strong seedlings. And this is a good bookmark for future harvest. The main thing is not to forget about the use of organic matter and peroxide. Time to process and feed the vegetables with the right means.