Properly grown seedlings are the key to a good harvest. To plant seedlings in open ground at the age of 55-60 days. But what to do with the seedlings, which was not possible to land on time, and it outgrew? Let's try to deal with this problem and find out how to plant overgrown tomato seedlings.
Table of contents
Causes of seedling growth
There are several reasons for seedling growth:
- insufficient lighting;
- early seeding;
- non-compliance with the temperature regime in the greenhouse;
- excessive watering;
- too frequent feeding;
- late frosts.
Understand how grown saplings of tomatoes can be as follows:
- Not much overgrown saplings will be tall 30 cm, 4 leaves and elongated internodes. The landing of such plants does not require additional measures, except for hardening. Saplings take root pretty quickly;
- Medium overgrown saplings have a long stem 45cm, 6 sheets and already emerging buds. Such seedlings take root poorly and the ovary already formed may be the only ones;
- Strongly overgrown saplings with height 50-60 cm, on a stalk of 6 sheets and buds already flowering. Such a seedling rarely takes root, mostly perishes.
How to harden overgrown tomato seedlings
In overgrown tomato seedlings weak immunity. Before planting it in the soil must be hardened. If you do not make the seedlings die.
In the first two days of hardening the plant must take out into the street in cloudy, warm weather. Humidity should be increased. On the street, leave the seedlings for 2 hours, in the future the time should be increased.
A week later, the seedlings leave all day outdoors. If the seedlings were grown in the presence of good lighting, and the temperature in the room was maintained at 20 degrees, then such plants will easily endure the hardening procedure.
Possible activities before planting seedlings in the ground
- If the seedlings outgrow and it is too early to plant, in this case it is necessary cut off half the bush, put the upper part in the water and after the roots appear to be planted in the ground. The lower part will grow from the stepson. These seedlings begin to bear fruit 14 days later.
- Transplant seedlings in another container, a larger volume. Fertilizer must be added to the soil.
- Increase capacity in height, attaching to the top of an additional ring of cardboard and sprinkling soil.
Planting overgrown tomato seedlings in open ground
Not much overgrown saplings planted in the hole so that the roots feel spacious, and the stem was deepened 1/3 part. The hole is covered with soil and well watered with settled water at room temperature.
Before planting, seedlings need to be treated with a growth-stimulating drug. This will increase immunity and involve the internal forces of the plant.
Medium overgrown plants are planted. inclined. It is necessary to dig a hole of such a depth in order to place the root and 1/2 stem part. The stem should be positioned under the slope and sprinkled with earth.
The soil must be watered with warm water, and around the trunk, on the surface of the soil, attach black polyethylene. These measures will allow you to adjust the soil moisture to prevent rotting of the roots. For 14 days, fertilize with potassium fertilizer to improve plant immunity.
Often gardeners make a mistake when planting heavily overgrown seedlings. Dig a hole and bury the plant in it to the bottom leaves.The soil at this point is not warm enough yet and there is a threat that the roots of the seedlings will start to hurt and develop poorly. Accordingly, the yield will be low.
To prevent these problems, overgrown seedlings should be planted. lying down. To do this, dig an oblong trench on the beds. It should not be deep, about 10 cm, because the root system of tomatoes is located closer to the surface.
Pour 5-6 liters of water into the trench and wait until it is absorbed into the soil. It is desirable to pour humus on the bottom. At the plant removed lower leavesthe seedling is laid in a trench so that it remains on the surface only crown. The root should be directed south, and the top to the north.
The groove is covered with earth. An additional root system will be formed from the stem indented into the soil. The top of the seedlings must be tied to a support. The first week is recommended to do shading.
With the method of planting tomatoes lying their root system is close to the surface. Performing loosening can damage the root. Therefore recommended soil around the bush to grumble. This will retain moisture and prevent the emergence of weeds.
Dry A.A. Kazarin transplant method
Another method of transplanting overgrown seedlings is the author's time to plant seedlings using the dry method of Kazarin. The basis of this method is creating extreme conditions for the root system.
With this method of transplantation, the stem that gave additional roots is looking for moisture, while growing strongly. By the time the fruits are formed, the root system becomes very powerful.
Consider the method of this landing in stages:
- Grooves are dug into the soil depth 10cm;
- In the hole must be added and mixed with soil:
- compost - ½ buckets;
- ash - 1 cup;
- manganese - 1 gram.
- Pour in the hole 5 liters of water;
- Stalk divided in half and cut off all the lower leaves;
- Part of the stem without leaves to lay in the grooves and sprinkle with earth;
- Pour additionally on top. 0.5 buckets of water;
- Tie the top of the head after it starts to pull up;
- In the future, stop watering.
After two weeks, the leaves will wilt, but there is nothing to worry about. The root system will actively grow. In a month after planting, the seedlings are fully restored and become more lush and powerful.
Even under the most unfavorable conditions, you should not fall into despair. The situation can be corrected by applying one of the above methods. Take advantage of it, and get a good harvest!